Our Washington, DC office has an immediate opening for a Director of Water and Wastewater Engineering to join our expanding team. As a Director of Water and Wastewater Engineering, you’ll have the opportunity to expand the foundation of your career by joining an ENR top ranked program management and construction-management-for-fee firm. You will be an essential member of our growing team by transforming our client’s vision into a strategy, converting that strategy into a plan, and moving quickly into executable action.
McKissack & McKissack is a national architectural, engineering, and construction services firm that has earned a strong reputation for consistently delivering results on high profile government and commercial projects. Our organization is guided by a passion for excellence, and we are committed to innovation, collaboration, and delivering superior results that meets and exceeds the needs of our clients. We offer a well-balanced corporate culture that embraces diversity, nurtures professional growth, and rewards hard work. McKissack & McKissack seeks individuals to join our growing organization who have excellent academic and/or work experience, integrity, and client-focused attitudes.
We are seeking leaders the exhibit the attributes of a great team player, Humble, Hungry and Smart
- Humble, being little ego; focusing more on their teammates than on themselves.
- Hungry, strong work ethic and driven.
- Smart, what they say or do has a positive outcome on those around them.
The Director of Water and Wastewater Engineering will report directly to the Vice President, Infrastructure in the Washington, DC Headquarters office. The leader will be a team player, with excellent internal and external communications skills. This position plans, organizes, and directs the activities of his/ her respective area to achieve the objectives of the business to maximize returns and minimize risk for the company. Operations include design management, program management, project, and construction management. This will include the hiring/assignment of personnel that exhibits humble, hungry, and smart attributes. Responsible for teaming partners selection, and execution of the work, monitoring progress of each project to ensure financially successful resolution. This leader will demonstrate financial responsibility and savvy.
The position requires excellent verbal and written communication skills, with an emphasis on the ability to organize and present information to our clients. Specifically, the Director of Water and Wastewater Engineering will be responsible for building and maintaining a network of client relationships such that we receive RFP’s for new work and repeat business from those clients and leads about other work. With the assistance of our marketing department, prepare responses to RFPs including preparation of technical fee proposals (including management and resourcing), preparation and delivery of interviews, development of marketing packages, etc. Participate in internal marketing meetings to coordinate and support business development activities with other offices and assist other offices as required in the pursuit of work.
What You'll be Doing:
- Oversees the Water and Wastewater team (providing program management, project management and construction management services) to ensure projects are completed on time and to specifications; manages all aspects of the project from securing personnel and managing capital assets to achieving financial results.
- Provides leadership, vision, and direction for multiple aspects of the practice and must provide executive oversight for all Water and Wastewater projects while increasing operating performance.
- Lead by example in design engineering and construction execution functioning as technical lead on all size projects.
- Manage projects to meet the project scope, client requirements, and Company requirements/governance.
- Mentor, guide, and inspire Program Management, Project Management and Construction Management Staff.
- Teach and advocate for how design-build, design-bid-build and public private partnership projects are successfully delivered.
- Coordinates with local, state, and federal regulatory agencies to obtain permits required to construct and commission water and wastewater infrastructure.
- Develop scope, schedule, and budget for design engineering and construction services for large and complex water and wastewater treatment facility projects.
- Develops, implements, and executes a strategic business plan and budget for the area including achievement of assigned metrics such as those related to financial forecasts and customer satisfaction; drives the operational performance and capabilities to surpass customer satisfaction, retention, and company goals; provide management and oversight to staff, as well as lead the recruitment and onboarding of new staff.
- In conjunction with the corporate office, approves advertising and marketing campaigns; communicates and collaborates with sales and marketing teams to promote and sell new projects, programs, and systems.
- Locates and evaluates project opportunities, develops fee proposals, conducts cost analysis, estimates expected costs for the project; prepares proposals, and implements a budget based on estimates.
- Should understand basic project management tools and techniques including client goals and objectives, contract types and project risk, work breakdown structures, project scope, schedule, and budget, financial management and controls, including earned value, and project closeout.
- Work with Construction Managers, Project Engineers and Project Managers on developing schedules and budgets for water and wastewater projects.
- Establish a network of relationships with technical peers in other offices and leverage those relationships and resources in work sharing opportunities.
- Coordinate with marketing and technical leadership for business development.
- Comply with McKissack and McKissack quality program relative to assigned tasks.
- Perform other duties as needed.
What We Are Looking For:
- Bachelor’s degree (or greater) in Civil Engineering, Water and Wastewater Specialty.
- PE license required.
- PMP or CCM certification a plus.
- Knowledge of compliance requirements and governmental regulations.
- Ability to produce sales and implement marketing strategies.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to develop and present comprehensive reports.
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, and organizational skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with a proven ability to exercise initiative, judgment, and discretion.
- Strong client and project management skills are required.
- Demonstrates leadership and communication skills.
- Thorough understanding of fiscal and human resource management techniques.
- Ability to function well in a high-paced and at times stressful environment.
What We Offer:
McKissack & McKissack offers a generous benefits package including:
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Company-paid holidays
- Vacation and Sick Leave
- Employee Assistance Program
- Life Insurance
- Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Commuter SmartBenefits
- On the Job Training and Professional Development
McKissack &McKissack is an equal opportunity employer that recognizes the value of a diverse workforce. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other criteria protected by federal, state or local law.
McKissack &McKissack is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer